Friday, November 16, 2007

NIGER

I just became aware that each entry of the blog must have a minimum of 200 words! So I am going to try to write longer paragraphs. Yet, let's go back to the main point. I come from Niger, not Nigeria. The capital city of Niger is Niamey. Niger is located in West Africa. At the North of the country, there is the Desert of Sahara. Tuaregs live there. Tuaregs represent one of the ethnic groups of Niger. They are nomadics. It means that they constantly move from place to place. The others ethnic groups are hausa, zarma, gobir and fulani. Each ethnic group speaks his own language. As a result, there are a lot of local languages. I belong to the hausa ethnic group, and I speak hausa. The hausa are sedentary people. It means that we always live at the same place; We do not move constantly. The main religion in Niger is Islam. It influences a lot people daily lives.
Another important fact about Niger is the language. The official language is french. Actually, France made Niger a colony in 1922. It administered the political, economical and social matters in Niger. The choice of french as the official language is related to its colonial history; But Niger became an independent country on August 3, 1960. Most of the others french West African colonies as Senegal, Mali became independent from France in the 1960's.

4 comments:

imade.act said...

i still don't have any idea where is it, sory hadiza...hohohho

Jack said...

Hi, Hadiza, I know you more~

Hadline said...

To imade.act: Niger is located in Western Africa. It has the same frontier than Nigeria, Chad,Libya and Algeria.Actually, I was surprised that nobody knew that a country named niger existed. I realised that most of people don't know Niger, but they know Nigeria.

Hadline said...

To Jack: Hi jack. I am glad that you know me more.I read your blog too, and I am discovering your world.