Sunday, February 24, 2008

LAW

I have always been interested in Law. I studied law during 2 years in Paris. Now that I am about to change my academic orientation, I miss those two years and I miss being in a huge theatre full of people who all want to be outstanding. I miss a lot of things. Last semester, I discovered the Association of Women Lawyers in Calgary. The following is their history and the events they organize.

“The Association of Women Lawyers ("AWL") is an organization committed to promoting the advancement, equality, interests and well being of women in the legal profession”.

Fall 1993:13 Calgary women lawyers formed a committee and discussed the development of a new organization to meet the changing needs of women in the legal profession.

Ø the committee was expanded and AWL was launched in June 1999. It was inspired from The Calgary Women Lawyers Association (CWLA) which was launched in the 1960s under the leadership of Mary Hetherington.

Ø The new minister of Human resources Anne McLellan and the Dean of law of the university Dr. Sheilah Martin contributed as guest speakers. They talked about the unique challenges which women lawyers face and shared their own experiences as well as giving encouragement to the new organization.

Ø At its debut, the association received funds from Calgary Law firms

Ø "Lunch and Learn" program twice a year: speaker with expertise is invited. A wide range of topics, such as financial planning, investment strategies, alternative career opportunities and gender issues in the workplace are covered.

Ø Fundraising event in the form of a spring luncheon: celebrity speaker is invited. This year, Madam Justice Louise Arbour, Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada delivered a speech. She spoke about "Justice in a Safer World".

Ø Complimentary luncheon event : honour women lawyers admitted to the Calgary Bar in the past year. “It a networking opportunity to the newly admitted women lawyers”.

Ø The AWL Annual General Meeting is held each year in December: occasion to electe new board of directors, review past activities and discuss upcoming events.

3 comments:

Scott Douglas said...

That's really interested that you have already studied law for two years. I'm sure you'll be a great lawyer some day!

Martin said...

I think that whatever you will carry out in your life will be of great benefit for people around you Hadiza. I say that because my impression of you is that you put heart and passion in every project you start. Above all else, the most important is that you like and enjoy your future profession.

P.S. J'aimerais avoir ton email si possible parce que c pas evident de communiquer via Blogger...

Merci

Martin

We will,we will rock U!! said...

Lawyer is a sacred profession, and this is what I was trying to be when I was really young, about kindergarten ages. Now I find that I'm not a law learning material. I don't know why, though I'm still interested in it, just no passion in learning everything of it!!