Sunday, February 17, 2008

I HAVE A DREAM


The word dream makes me think about Martin Luther King’s speech “I have a Dream”. It was delivered on August 28, 1963 at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C. It is a message of peace, equality, solidarity, unity, democracy and hope. Martin Luther King wanted a united nation where all races and all social classes would join together. Furthermore, he wanted a world of tolerance and freedom. The following extract of the speech is my favourite part.

Ø I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

Ø I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

Ø I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

Ø I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character.

Ø I have a dream today!

Martin Luther King was only 34 when he galvanized the nation with his inspirational speech “I have a Dream”. He received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964. Undeniably, Martin Luther King was a remarkable individual that had an extraordinary life. Besides, I do not want to compare Martin Luther King with another individual because to me he is unique. Yet, when I watch Barack Obama on television, he reminds me Martin Luther King because they have the same irresistible charisma.

6 comments:

Scott Douglas said...

I love that speech too!

Nahid said...

Hi Dear Hadiza :)

Thank you for your kindness.

Now, I feel better, Thanks God!

What Beautiful speech! How meaningful! I like it.
Thank you for sharing such beautiful speech.

Look forward to see you, soon!
:*

Lisa said...

the speech seems meaningful, i like it~~~

Lisa said...

nice speech,i like it~~

We will,we will rock U!! said...

I learned that speech when I was in high school in China!! And I could recite it all! Now I forgot...
Anyway, Jr. Martin Luther King is my idol!!

imade.act said...

What a great leader, huuh? I also admire this guy, and Malcolm X. Both of them are brave people. They do not afraid to stand for justice. We really need those people to run our world today...